Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm Finally a Grown Up

I sit and think about how time has flown. In high school, I always thought I was one of the "cool kids" so to speak as I was involved in just about everything a high school student could be involved in. I had no worries, and I was very much confident in myself and my abilities.
Reality soon slapped me in the face as I started moving on with my education and began my new life on my own. I realized that high school life was far from what life is really like. I had to make new friends, make my own food, support myself through the small amount of income I was making, and I was finally able to date freely and get into relationships as my parents banned me from having a boyfriend in high school, although I sort of had one for about a year. :)
It only took me about a month to fully accept the fact that I was on my way to being a full-pledged "Grown Up". The thought of that scared me to death, but I figured I wouldn't be starting out in the real world until I had my bachelors degree and I was working like all the other older kids did after college.
Well, the time has come. I am graduating this April with a double Associates in both accounting and a general business transfer degree. It has been rough doubling up in classes, but I am very glad I did. I was always planning on transferring to the University of Utah to finish out my bachelors, but about a month or so ago, I started to feel very uneasy about transferring there right now. I was confused and didn't know what I was going to do. I did not want to transfer to a 4-year right away. I then decided to apply for a well-paid recruiting internship at the college, but again, after applying for that, I did not feel like that is what I should be doing. I was enthralled with frustration and wanted to just give up until I heard about an outstanding job opening with a company called Liberty Mountain.
Liberty Mountain distributes gear and supplies to many well-known outdoor companies such as REI, Sports Authority and Big 5. They also distribute to smaller local "mom and pop" shops. They specialize in camping, hiking, mountain biking and rock climbing. Having grown up in a very outdoorsy family, my interest was peaked when I heard they were hiring for an Accounts Receivable position. I applied right away.
I was called for my first interview and was told I was one of about 25 people who applied for this job. Having limited experience, I thought I was done for. I then was asked to come and meet with the owner of the company. I met with him, and our interview kind of turned into more of a casual conversation. Always being told to be very professional in an interview, I again thought I was done for. I then received an e-mail stating that they wanted me and two others to come back for yet another interview with the Controller. I was very surprised that I was asked to come back, but I definitely wasn't going to complain. I met with the Controller yesterday, and like the Owner, our interview turned into more of a conversation. I left wondering if I even said anything that would make him want to hire me. I thought back on some of the things I said, and wanted to punch myself for some of my stupid, ridiculous answers.
About two hours later, I got a phone call stating that they chose to hire me above the other two. At first, I thought about asking if they really meant to call me, or if they got the phone numbers mixed up, but I decided that even if the numbers were mixed up, I was still going to accept the offer! Ha. They talked to me about the pay, and it was significantly more than I was expecting. I also will be getting a raise in 3 months according to an evaluation that will be taken place. They also told me that I didn't have to start work until I was finished with Student Government at LDS Business College. My official start date is April 13, but can always be changed if I want or can start earlier. Wow, what more could I ever ask for?!
It makes me extremely grateful for the stumbling blocks I had in my life leading up to this amazing job offer. It is crazy that I am going to be starting my career as a twenty-year-old, but I know now that I really am ready to be a "Grown Up" :). I'm ready to step into the real workforce and make real money. I don't know what I'm going to do when I will no longer have to be living on $500 a month, and will actually have more than enough money to spend, save, and invest. Everything feels so very surreal right now, but I am so glad I was given this opportunity! I will be getting my bachelors degree by taking nigh classes, and slowly working my way to finishing. It may take a while, but that's alright. Especially with the recession in the economy, I do not believe it is the right time to give up such an amazing career start.
Wow, life is good. I am far more blessed than I deserve to be.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I knew you would become a millionaire before anyone else in our class did. lol. I'm way happy things are turning out really good for you! Just goes to show that hard work pays off, and you have had a lot of dedication through out the years! Way to Go Jen!! So u will be staying in the valley right?

Jessica said...

Wow--you must have had a great English teacher in high school:)

Jessica said...

Just kidding. Congrats on the new job. Welcome to the real world--it sucks--your gonna love it!! That is a quote from friends by the way, but I thought it totally fit. BUT of course I did not want to plagarize!!!

Shelly said...

I am so proud of you and all of your hard work. I hope you know that you are very qualified for the position and that they are not making a mistake :) I think that you are awesome and i am glad that you are going to be staying in UTAH!!!!!!!!!!!! You are amazing and i hope that you never forget that!